Breast cancer is the most common invasive cancer in women, and the second main cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer. Below are what you need to know about breast cancer.
Do you know that:
· Breast cancer is the commonest cancer in Ghana?
· Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in Ghana?
· More than 60% of women with breast cancer in Ghana report late or delay treatment, and that this is the reason for most deaths?
· Almost all cases of early breast cancer can be cured with the right treatment at hospital?
· Breast cancer usually starts as a painless lump in the breast? Please do not wait for a lump to become painful before reporting to the hospital
What should you do? Are you over 20 years old?
· Examine your breasts once every month.
· Ever had your breasts examined by a doctor? Get a clinical breast examination done every 3 years if you are over 20, and every year if you are more than 40.
· Get screened for breast cancer; get a mammogram 1-2 yearly if you are more than 40.
· If you notice any changes in your breast, report early at a hospital and comply with treatment.
Don’t waste time trying unproven treatments!
Early detection and effective treatment save lives.
This message is from the Korle Bu breast cancer multidisciplinary team, Breast Society of Ghana and yours truly www.afrikabi.com.
Forward this to all your friends. You may save a life.